Tuesday, September 7, 2010

How are you helping rural America?

Get involved in your communities. 

97% of the U.S. is considered rural. In these rural areas you will find thousands of ranchers and farmers raising the food we all eat.

I recently came across this video asking the question what could $2,500 do for a rural community? I was amazed at some of the ideas, and furthermore what an impact on the quality of life they could make on communities.

Thousands of seeds to start a community garden. If we want people to understand more about agriculture, then let's get them involved in growing their food. Let them see that food comes from seeds in the ground not grocery stores. Let them learn the lessons of ownership and responsibility that we learned on the farm. And let them see bugs and pests eat all their tomatoes, so they understand that farming isn't as easy as it looks!


8 new computers for your communities libraries. Just think if people had better access to the world what they would be able to accomplish. I am lucky, my roommate and I both have computers at our house, plus the other one I use a work. Not everyone is so fortunate, and I think some people have stories to share they just need a channel.

Enough meals for 850 seniors. My mom has a really neat job. She gets to provide all kinds of support to members of the community I grew up in and the surrounding area. One of these programs is Meals on Wheels. There are more people out there than you realize that can't provide for themselves. Maybe they don't have the funds, maybe they just don't have the means to get to the grocery store to buy food to make meals. Maybe there is a disability involved, and no family close enough to step in.

2500 Ways to Grow a Community - brought to you by Monsanto

5 comments:

  1. Hi Crystal, I shared this on Facebook last week and have several friends applying for it. My mom and I applied for our local ambulance squad which once saved my brother's life in a farm accident. It is a wonderful opportunity for rural America. Read the fine print as your county needs to raise a minimum acreage of certain crops but many, many qualify. Thanks.
    Katie

    ReplyDelete
  2. Good thoughts Crystal. This is a subject that I have been thinking about a lot lately. My wife and I got married this weekend in our small rural community of Yuma, CO (Pop. appx. 4000) We thought hard about where to have the wedding and even considered having it along the front range of Colorado where I grew up because it would be "easier" for the slew of out-of-town guests that were planning on attending our ceremony. But, as we thought about it we decided on having it in Yuma instead. It really made me happy that we were making quite a significant contribution to our local economy by completely filling 2 local hotels, and also having roughly 100 out of town visitors spending an entire weekend's worth of money in rural Colorado. I would encourage other small people to keep it rural with their weddings as well. All the city people were pleasantly surprised by our town and the event went absolutely perfect! It's a great way to help rural America.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Haha...I meant to say "small town people" as a opposed to what was actually written to say "small people". Whooops.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thanks for sharing this Crystal! We sure would love to have a lot of ideas come in!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I hope lots of ideas are submitted, and everyone keeps up posted on the ideas that do get picked. Caleb I have been to many small town weddings and you are right the bring in a lot of income.

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for stopping by! I love to hear from all my readers. Hope you have a fabulous day.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...