Wednesday, October 13, 2010

Yes, that really is the Sydney Opera House

It's the real deal

There are certain images that you grow up seeing. They are present throughout your entire life. Things like the Statue of Liberty, Disneyland, the Hollywood sign. However, most the time we only ever get to experience them through photos. There is one of those symbols in Australia, and I got to see it yesterday. The Sydney Opera House.

Obviously, I know it's real, but seeing it in person is very different than on paper or T.V. Probably my first encounter with the building was an Australian alphabet book that some visitors brought my sister and I when we were younger. I also remember the reoccurring images of the Opera House during the 2000 Olympics. I was only 15 then.

Well, yesterday was the day for me to finally set out and see this iconic image. I took the train down to the Harbor, walked past all the Harbor taxis and ferries, and then there it was. I am not quite sure how to describe it, but I definitely had a big smile on my face. The building is simply beautiful.


 This was the view from across the Harbor. It had been cloudy all day, but the sun popped about half an hour after I reached the Harbor. Perfect timing.


And this time a little closer.

Construction on the building began in 1959, and wasn't completed until 1973. The roof of the building is composed of 1,056,000 glazed white granite tiles. When the sun is out the building almost glistens. The Opera House is home to more than 1,000 performances a year.

And you can't visit the Opera House without seeing this right across the Harbor.


The Sydney Harbor Bridge. Another iconic Australian image.

It was a great day in Sydney. I have much more to share with you soon. And in the meantime if you have an iconic image moments you would like to share with me feel free.

3 comments:

  1. Did you tour the Opera House as well?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh Crystal!! Hope you are having an absolutely FABULOUS time!! I saw the Opera House when we were there too, and I understand what you mean. I think it's the feeling of "I did it"...dreaming about going somewhere for so long and then standing there in front of something that represents the country really hits home. Good for you striking something off your bucket list and have fun!!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I also visited the Sydney Opera House and saw the Harbor Bridge - a once in a lifetime opportunity for sure.

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for stopping by! I love to hear from all my readers. Hope you have a fabulous day.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...